The Political Affairs Section is UNAMID's lead in the overall implementation of any peace agreement that aim to bring a political settlement to the conflict in Darfur.
The main activities of the Political Affairs Section are the following:
- Monitor the implementation of the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur (DDPD) and any subsequent agreements, and make recommendations, as appropriate;
- Review and evaluate political as well as security, humanitarian and economic developments in Darfur;
- Act as the Mission’s primary contact for parties to the conflict, and interact closely with the signatory parties of the DDPD at the highest and working levels to advance the implementation of the Doha Document;
- Maintain close contacts with and briefing regularly partners in the peace process, including the wider UN community, diplomatic missions, international and regional organizations, and civil society groups and leaders;
- Provide Secretariat for Implementation Follow-up Commission, responsible for monitoring and assessing the implementation of the DDPD, overseeing the provisions of technical assistance and support for post-conflict activities, and establishment and functioning of the institutions provided for in the Agreement;
- Provide Secretariat for the Joint Commission responsible for resolving disputes among the Parties to the DDPD referred to it by the Ceasefire Commission, and for ensuring effective implementation of the provisions of the Final Security Arrangements.